From Chimney Swifts to Wasps, Lords Chimney is Your Animal Removal Expert in The Woodlands, TX
Located just 30 miles north of Downtown Houston stands a captivating oasis of culture, recreation, and natural beauty. With over 151 parks, 220 miles of hiking and biking trails, plenty of pools, public art, water sport destinations, and signature golf courses, The Woodlands, TX offers a plethora of options to satisfy every adventurer’s desires.
As a nature enthusiast, you might find the perfect challenge at Spring Creek Nature Trail. With 14 miles of walking trail, you’re bound to find an abundance of wildlife along the creek and wetlands throughout your journey.
On the days where the relentless Texas heat has you hiding indoors, there’s plenty of indoor entertainment to keep you busy. Whether you’re exploring The Woodlands Children Museum with the kids or shopping to your heart’s content at The Woodlands Mall, we think you’ll find many ways to create lasting memories while escaping from the sun.
And when the sun goes down, there’s no better place to be than The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Ranked as one of the top 10 outdoor amphitheaters in the world, this iconic venue hosts an impressive lineup of concerts and events throughout the year, attracting music lovers from far and wide.
When you’re ready to call it a night, be sure to grab your loved ones, head home, and cozy up next to a crackling fireplace. It’s the perfect ending to an adventurous day, allowing you to unwind and reflect on the memories created in this remarkable Texas city.
To make sure moments like these aren’t interrupted by pesky fireplace or chimney issues, call Lords Chimney to schedule your regular chimney inspections and sweeps. You can reach us at 281-497-4000 or book an appointment right on our website.
Ask About Financing Options!
Get Your Estimate Today!
What To Do if an Animal Is in Your Chimney?
One of the leading causes of chimney and fireplace issues is neglecting regular maintenance and inspections. You wouldn’t believe the number of times we have been called out to inspect a draft or airflow issue within the chimney and have discovered animals and nests.
So what do we do when a problem like this occurs? Let us walk you through the process of animal removal from your chimney.
1. Inspection: The very first step is to perform a chimney inspection to identify the problem. Since we aren’t sure what type of animal may be the root of the issue, if it’s alive or not, or if there are babies with it, we want to take extra safety precautions – especially if we are dealing with a potentially aggressive species, like wasps.
2. Legal Considerations: Did you know the chimney swift is protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act? A chimney swift is a type of bird that sticks its nest to the side of the flue using its saliva. By law, these birds can’t be removed and we must wait for them to move out of the nest on their own before we attempt to remove their nest.
In the instance that you have to wait for these birds to leave, we are able to help seal off the front of the fireplace with some kind of barrier to reduce the sound and smell that can come into your home. And once they’re gone, we’ll install a reliable chimney cap.
3. Humane Removal: To safely remove the animals, a one-way door may be temporarily installed on the top of the chimney. This allows the animal to leave on its own, but lose access to reentering through the chimney. Under no circumstances (other than wasps, which we will explain next) should you consider smoking out the animal as this more often than not leads to dead animals in your chimney – and that causes different issues, including unpleasant odors and the possibility of infestations by pests attracted to the carcass.
4. Nest Removal: When we have determined that the animals have been removed, it is time to clear your chimney of all nesting materials and debris. This is not only important to ensure animals don’t have a cozy place to come back to, but also to reduce the risk of fire hazards.
If you have an active wasp nest in your fireplace, smoking them out actually works better than sprays and pesticides. Once the wasps have been eradicated, make sure the nest is removed as soon as possible. Because nests are a thin, paper-like material, it acts as the perfect fuel for any sparks that exit the chimney.
5. Preventive Measures: To prevent future infestations, we will install a properly fitted chimney cap. This protective barrier keeps all unwanted visitors out of your chimney, along with rainwater and debris, while still allowing proper airflow.
6. Regular Maintenance: As you’ve probably guessed, the best way to prevent these issues from arising again is to schedule regular chimney inspections and maintenance with a certified chimney technician. These proactive measures not only help avoid recurring animal infestations, they help identify other potential problems early, so you can avoid costly repairs in the future and enjoy your fireplace worry-free.
Before you consider handling a job like this yourself, we recommend you contact a professional. The certified chimney technicians at Lords Chimney arrive with the proper training, equipment, and legal knowledge to safely and ethically remove any concerns, all while minimizing risks to both you and the animals.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us online or by calling 281-497-4000.
Lords Chimney Does More Than Nest and Animal Removal in Montgomery County
The Woodlands, TX and surrounding areas are home to many different critters. That means Lords Chimney has become quite specialized in handling a wide range of wildlife-related chimney and fireplace issues, from removing birds and squirrels to addressing wasp nests – and even assisting with the occasional bat exclusions.
However, we also offer many other services to homeowners in Egypt, Rayford, Shenandoah, Willow, and Rayford. This includes:
- Chimney Inspections: There are three different levels of chimney inspections – level 1, level 2, and level 3. A level 1 inspection is the most common, during which we inspect all of the readily accessible areas of the chimney in the living area and exterior of your home. If you are needing a more thorough inspection because of recent damage or the impending sale of a home, then a level 2 inspection will be recommended. We use a special camera that is able to rotate 360 degrees so that we are able to view every square inch of the inside of the chimney.
- Chimney Sweeps: A chimney sweep is more than just sweeping away ash and debris from a chimney. Specialized tools, including a series of rotating brushes and high-powered vacuums, are used to clean every component of the chimney – the firebox, smoke chamber, damper, smoke shelf, and flue liner. It is common for creosote to build up over time, so it’s important to have this service, along with an inspection, done at least once a year.
- Chimney & Fireplace Repairs: Let’s face it – Texas weather can often be unpredictable. When there’s a long list of things that can possibly go wrong with your chimney and fireplace, it’s important to have a trusted chimney repair company you can count on to show up every time a need arises. From pressure washing to tuckpointing to crown repair and more, we’ve got you covered for it all.
- Chimney Leak Resolution & Brick Repair: Water spreads into every crack and crevice it can get into, and it can cause a wide array of issues within your home, such as mold and mildew growth, flue liner deterioration, water damage, and structural damage – just to name a few. The longer a leak goes unaddressed, the more extensive the damage (and the cost to repair it) can become.
- Chimney Relining and Repair: A chimney liner is essential for protecting the interior walls of your chimney against smoke, toxic gases, and the high temperatures produced by your fireplace. Based on the current state of your liner, we may recommend one of two options – stainless steel liner installation or HeatShield® resurfacing. Let us help you make an informed decision on what is best for your fireplace and chimney.
- Fireplace Replacements & Facelifts: Nobody likes an old chimney that isn’t operating at its best. Our technicians specialize in chimney restoration to help get that old chimney looking and functioning like new again. If you’re ready to replace your wood-burning fireplace with a new and convenient gas fireplace, we can also set you up with a customized solution that meets your exact needs.
- Dryer Vent Services: Dryer vent servicing is just as important as fireplace and chimney servicing. If you neglect to keep up with regular dryer vent cleanings, the vent can become clogged with lint and this restricts proper airflow. In addition, dryer lint is commonly used as a fire starter while camping because it is highly flammable. If it’s been over a year since your last dryer vent service, it’s time to give us a call.
From Top to Bottom, Count On Us for All Your Chimney Needs
From animal removal to full rebuilds, and everything else in between, you can count on Lords Chimney to provide a solution for all of your chimney and fireplace needs. Our experienced team is dedicated to ensuring the safety, functionality, and comfort of your home to all residents in and around The Woodlands, TX. Your peace of mind is our top priority.
Give Lords Chimney a call today at 281-497-4000 or book with us online to experience the excellence, reliability, and care that have made us a trusted name in the chimney and fireplace industry.