Gas Logs & Gas Log Conversions
Are you longing for a beautiful and warm fire to gather around this winter? If you’ve already determined that you don’t want to undertake the construction and expense of a new masonry fireplace and chimney, you may want to consider the advantages of gas logs, a gas fireplace insert, or a gas fireplace.
Just as gas fireplaces are more celebrated for their looks than their heat output, gas logs aren’t known for providing very much heat and are thought to be more for decorative use. However, today’s gas logs are far more beautiful, realistic-looking, and functional than they once were.
Here at Lords Chimney, we are proud to offer our customers the whole line of vented Peterson Real Fyre logs. We recommend Peterson logs because they’re high quality and fantastic-looking—hand painted by artisans to look just like the real thing.
For more than half a century the RH Peterson brand has been manufacturing quality fireplace products; today they are leaders in the gas log industry, thanks to their state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment and great record of quality assurance.
Their incredibly versatile logs allow you to burn natural gas or liquid propane in your home. Depending on which you select, Peterson Real Fyre logs can be ignited manually, with an on/off remote or a variable flame remote.
Among other benefits, Peterson gas logs are said to release 100 lbs. less pollutants per year than burning wood.
Vented Vs. Vent-Free Gas Logs
Many homeowners start shopping for gas logs and quickly run into a problem: they aren’t sure what the difference is between vented and vent-free. We can help. Here’s the main difference: Vent-free gas logs don’t require a chimney to vent, while vented gas logs need a chimney to operate.
Here at Lord’s Chimney, we ONLY recommend vented logs for indoor installations for several reasons:
- Vented logs are the more aesthetically pleasing choice. If you want a roaring, beautiful fire, vented logs are the only option to consider. The logs and the flame patterns they produce are incredibly realistic looking.
- Vented logs come in in array of styles, so you’re not limited to one look that isn’t quite what you wanted. Charred oak is a client favorite, so if you’re not sure what you want, give charred oak logs a look.
- Vented logs produce a good bit of warmth, so it’s not just about ambiance and looks.
- Vent-free logs produce moisture and humidity and will soot up your entire home. Plus, if you’re mopping or cleaning your floors with chemicals, a vent-free log set will burn those chemicals, causing issues with odors and allergies.
- Vent-free logs aren’t allowed in bedrooms or bathrooms and have many other installation restrictions that make them far from ideal.
Of course, if you have an existing gas fireplace that needs updating, please note that it’s not always necessary to buy new gas logs. We can add additional sand and embers to make your old gas logs look like new. Whatever your gas-burning needs, we’re here to help!
Thinking of Adding a Gas Fireplace Outdoors?
Vent-free isn’t the best choice for inside your home, but if you’re considering adding a gas fireplace outdoors, vent-free is still a viable option. The downsides to vent-free aren’t an issue in an open-air space, so we can install a new vent-free fireplace on your property, making your outdoor space even better.
Live in the greater Houston area and want to learn more about gas fireplaces, gas logs, or gas fireplace inserts? Give us a call at 281-497-4000, or use our convenient appointment request form!