Lords Chimney Has a Variety of Professional-Grade Chimney Caps
Imagine you’re a momma raccoon with babies due any day now, and you’ve yet to find the perfect safe space – warm, dark, and hidden away from the hustle and bustle of human traffic – to hunker down and nestle in. Then, one day, you come across a dark, hollow tube sticking out of one of those human box things, high above the ground. Perfect! Time to climb inside and prepare for motherhood.
Now, if you’re the human whose home is utilizing this chimney, this scenario is less than ideal. Luckily for homeowners in the greater Houston area, Lords Chimney can help to not only safely and humanely remove these critters, but ensure they can’t return, as well. Cue the chimney cap.
With a wide range of decorative custom caps, we’re sure to have the perfect piece that not only protects your home and fireplace, but matches your desired aesthetic too. For all things fireplace and chimney, be sure to give the experts at Lords a call and learn why we’re the premier chimney service provider in Southeastern Texas.
You can request an appointment online or call us at 281-497-4000. We look forward to learning what we can do for you.
What Is a Chimney Cap? How Does It Work?
A crucial component to your fireplace setup, a chimney cap is a rather small, metallic structure that fits snugly atop the chimney flue. Chimney caps are designed with two main purposes in mind:
- to allow the chimney proper airflow both for combustion and ventilation
- to ensure that rain, animals, and various other debris have no way in
They also help protect your roof and home from any burning embers that could escape and potentially start a fire.
Though there is a variety of structural designs, all chimney caps serve these same functions, no matter if your chimney is prefabricated or constructed of masonry. Typically, the piece is shaped in such a way that it resembles a little roof over some caging that fits right inside the very top of the flue. The caging provides the perfect escape route for the exhaust fumes and noxious gases created during combustion, while the roof not only prohibits any unwanted intrusions, but also redirects any water out and away from the flue – partnership at its finest!
Why Do I Need a Chimney Cap?
Now that you have a better idea of what a chimney cap is and how exactly it works to protect the entire fireplace and chimney system, why else is it important to keep your chimney capped?
- Chimney caps help eliminate moisture damage. Water entering your chimney erodes masonry and mortar joints, and it will cause your damper or firebox to rust out or decay too. This leads to expensive chimney leak repairs and creates potential hazards for your household.
- Chimney caps guard against flue blockages. Leaves and debris entering your chimney can cause flue blockages and lead to fire, smoke damage, or even carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Chimney caps prevent bird and animal invasion. Chimney caps protect your chimney from nesting birds, squirrels, raccoons, and other disease-carrying animals. Did you know that chimney swifts are federally protected and as such it’s illegal to disturb or remove their nests, eggs, and the birds themselves? Their nesting season is only during the warmest time of the year, but if found in your chimney, you’ll have to wait til they migrate before you can have a cap installed and prevent future visits.
- Chimney caps protect against airborne embers and sparks. Our chimney caps have 18 gauge mesh that reduces the risk of fires caused by embers and sparks exiting your chimney flue.
If you need a new chimney cap, Lords Chimney can make sure you have a correctly-sized cap that is properly installed to keep water – and everything else – out for the life of your chimney. In addition, if you have a prefabricated fireplace, it’s important to know that not just any chimney cap will do. Manufactured chimneys must have the proper manufacturer-specified chimney cap.
We are happy to locate and install the correct cap for your chimney – just give us a call or reach out to us online now.
How Do You Fix a Damaged Chimney Cap?
If your chimney cap is damaged, there really is no way to “fix” it without replacing the whole thing. For other chimney repairs, there are often a few options when it comes to handling the specific issue – depending on the state of damage, of course.
But almost always, chimney cap damage comes in the form of corrosion, rust, or other forms of structural deterioration that render the entire piece useless. Because it is not made of materials like brick and mortar where it’s possible to repair, replace, or rebuild certain areas and sections of the chimney, a damaged chimney cap usually requires outright replacement.
However, this also gives you, as the homeowner, a great opportunity to get it replaced with something that might better align with your home’s look or your preferred aesthetic. And fortunately, Lords Chimney has quite the selection – you’re sure to find just the right one for your chimney, no matter what kind it is.
Fill out an appointment request form right here on our website, or give us a call at 281-497-4000 to learn more about us, our products and services, and how best we can help you.
What Types of Chimney Caps Are Available?
When it comes to chimney caps, there are a handful of different kinds to accommodate for the variety in chimneys themselves:
- Single-Flue Cap. If your chimney has one singular flue, this chimney cap will give you the best “bang for your buck.” No extra bells and whistles or unnecessary features… just some simple, clean-cut, and low-profile protection.
- Multi-Flue Cap. For larger chimneys with more than one exhaust flue, it’s important that your cap is equipped to protect them all. Enter: the multi-flue cap. Specified to the dimensions of your system, these chimney caps are customizable while still being stylish.
- Outside Mount Cap. As suggested by the name, outside mount caps are installed across the entire chimney top and are usually built to hang over the chimney’s crown to better protect against debris and weather damage.
- Speciality Cap. In addition to the kinds of chimney caps included here, there are also those designed to provide extra protection against certain elements, as well as ensure that uniquely-built chimneys receive the coverage they need. These are customizable to accommodate for different scenarios.
- Full-Coverage Caps/Covers. Also known as a chase top or cover, these chimney caps are designed to cover the whole top of the chimney – including the crown – and as such, offer maximum protection for the entire system. With tons of variety when it comes to customization, you’ll be sure to find one that blends well with the rest of your home.
How Do I Clean & Maintain a Chimney Cap?
Technically, as a homeowner, you don’t need to worry about the cleaning or other maintenance of a chimney cap. No, this does not mean that there is no level of maintenance required to ensure your system remains suitable for operation. It just means that all of that should be left to the professionals, like us.
Out here in Houston, we get a lot of rain and a lot of sun and if left forgotten or untended to for any period of time, our chimneys can suffer the consequences. The biggest way to prevent this from happening is to stay vigilant in annual preventive services, like chimney inspections and regular cleanings
Also? When it comes to issues pertaining to your fireplace and/or chimney, please never try to tackle them on your own. Yes, YouTube has some quality instructional content. No, that doesn’t include “how to” videos on any chimney-related topic. Believe us, you’ll save so much time and money down the line if you make a call to a professional chimney service company like ours as soon as you notice any inefficiencies or strange behavior – as opposed to attempting to rectify the situation yourself.
Are You Ready To Change Your Chimney Cap?
Whether you’ve found a whole family of raccoons living rent-free somewhere inside your chimney or are simply looking for an upgrade, Lords Chimney has the perfect chimney cap solution for you. Operating for 20 years now, we’re the ones you call when you need chimney, fireplace, and dryer vent cleaning services done right. We only hire the best of the best and take pride in our work, ensuring that your home is the safest and coziest it can be.
See for yourself why we’re so highly rated in the Beaumont and Houston areas. Get in touch by requesting an appointment online or by calling 281-497-4000. We can’t wait to meet you.