We Make Smoky Fireplace Problems Disappear
Besides creating quite a mess and stink inside your home, a fireplace that smokes affects air quality and tells you that you have a bigger problem on your hands. Wondering why your fireplace smokes and what can be done about it? There are several possible causes for a smoking fireplace:
- A fireplace opening that’s too large for the size of your chimney flue
- Downdrafts that bring outside air down your chimney and into your home
- A negatively pressurized home or business
- Breach or smoke-over problem in the chimney, which is when one fireplace is positioned above another in a home. Lots of our customers are surprised to hear that one fireplace in your house will have a direct impact on the way another fireplace in your house is functioning.
Though a chimney cleaning can make a world of difference, other possible solutions to a smoky fireplace are to:
- Install a smoke guard. A smoke guard, also known as a chimney smoke protector, fits at the top of your fireplace opening and will help you keep smoke out of your home. They work to make your hearth opening smaller so that less smoke can enter your home. Smoke guards are available in a range of sizes to fit different sized fireplaces and come in a variety of decorative finishes, so you’re bound to find a smoke guard that’s perfect for your home.
- Install a ventilation fan. A chimney fan will allow you to control how quickly smoke is drawn out of your chimney.
- Install an outside air kit. A fresh air intake device will help prevent backdrafting that’s caused by negative pressure. And rather than drawing already heated air from inside your home, it will draw fresh air from outside to help fuel your fireplace.
- Install a top-mounted damper. A top-mounted damper won’t just save you a ton on energy expenses, it will also help you regulate draft.
You can read more about fireplace ventilation and draft problems here. And if your fireplace is smelly or suffering from another problem, we would be happy to help you troubleshoot the problem before it creates an even bigger headache for you.
Live in the greater Houston area? If your problem has anything to do with a chimney, consider it fixed. Give Lords Chimney a call at 281-497-4000, or use our easy appointment request form.
My husband and I purchased a 1910 Queen Anne Victorian home in the Heights which was more than just a small weekend project! One of the restoration tasks included completely gutting the old fireplace, chase, and chimney as they were not to code or functioning properly. Lords Chimney worked many hours on our "little" project removing the old brick (a very dirty job!) and retrofitting an entirely new system, even taking care to match the chimney brackets to the original brick color. The original brick was saved and placed in a nice pile for us in the back yard so that we could use it to lay a patio. We are so thrilled with our new fireplace and lovely gas logs. We look forward to hiring Lords Chimney to tackle a second fireplace upstairs. A big thank you to Lords for a terrific job!
~ Amanda S.