Address Backdrafting Issues With A Ventilation Fan!

If your fireplace is not venting correctly, you will find that smoke, soot, and/or carbon monoxide may be entering your home and polluting your air supply. Backdrafting can bring with it unpleasant odors, and may also create stains on your ceilings, walls, and curtains. In addition, backdrafting can present some very real dangers to your home and family. If you’re having problems with your chimney system, a ventilation fan—or chimney fan—may be a surefire way to fix your drafting problems. Installed on the top of the chimney flue, the fan will create an updraft in your chimney that will ensure that no smoke or carbon monoxide leaks back into your home.

A chimney fan works by sucking the smoke from your chimney flue. These fans are especially great for oddball fireplaces, such as corner fireplaces and see-through fireplaces, and are great solutions for fireplaces that are perpetually backdrafting and stinky. Most models operate via a speed control unit that’s installed near your fireplace. With this you can control the fan’s speed so that you can adjust how much heat is being pulled out of your home. These fans are quiet, energy efficient, reliable, and work with a wide range of heating appliances—both wood- and gas-burning. They can also be used when the fireplace is not in use to clear the room of other odors.

A Lords Chimney technician can install a ventilation fan for you quickly, with relative ease, and without mess. It will be important to have your chimney professionally inspected prior to the installation of a ventilation fan. Please note that a ventilation fan is just one possible solution to backdrafting, also known as “back puffing.” You can read more about common fireplace ventilation issues and solutions here.

The Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide

A ventilation fan is a great way to defend your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Backdrafting chimneys can allow carbon monoxide—which is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless byproduct of combustion—to enter your living space, where it can sicken and harm those inside. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include flu-like symptoms (minus the fever): nausea and vomiting, dizziness, headache, and shortness of breath. Carbon monoxide tricks the body into thinking it’s breathing oxygen and can cause brain damage, to which children are particularly susceptible. This danger makes chimney maintenance and cleaning that much more important. Prevention is key.

If you live in the greater Houston area and are interested in having a ventilation fan installed on your chimney, give us a call at 281-497-4000, or use our appointment request form!


Adding glass doors to your existing fireplace creates a fresh look while adding a high degree of safety. Ask our fireplace accessories and installations experts what will work for you.