The way air flows through your fireplace is a key component in whether or not it runs efficiently. Proper ventilation is vital for both chimney health and the health of people living within the home. If you find yourself facing issues, there are many reasons why your chimney may not be circulating air properly. Check out just some of these reasons below!
A dirty chimney is a major cause for bad ventilation. Soot and other substances can accumulate quickly. Also, animals are known for dragging nesting materials and other items into chimneys. All of these things cause blockages which need to be taken care of before any fires are lit.
The consequences of running a dirty fireplace can be detrimental to the health of your chimney, your home, and your loved ones. If the toxins cannot escape, they turn around and enter your home. This means anyone inside is exposed to a variety of harmful gases and nasty fumes. On top of this, creosote and other flammable build-up could easily catch fire. This puts your family in danger and could cost you thousands in repairs.
Your Home Is Too Tight/Loose
The way your home is insulated can have a lot to do with ventilation, as well. While a well-insulated house may seem like a good thing, it can block the outside air from entering. Thus, it hinders your fireplace’s ability to run as efficiently. This affects how well your fires burn, and it could cause a build-up of carbon monoxide within the home too.
Carbon monoxide is odorless and very hard to detect, so be sure to install a detector for it today! Also, if you find that your home is too tight, try opening a window for a temporary fix. Do this until you can ask a certified sweep about a more permanent solution.
If you know your house is not too tight, then it may be too loose. If too much air is escaping your home, the current may overtake the air flow your chimney needs to function appropriately. Try to seal windows as tightly as possible to help maintain a better flow through your chimney.
As stated above, be certain that your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed and working before lighting any fires. These devices are simple to set up and could make all the difference in ensuring your family is breathing in clean air. Also, smoke detectors often offer the first warning signs that your home is danger. They are known for saving lives, so get one installed today.
Another step in making your home safe and getting your fireplace ready for regular use is to hire an expert to do a thorough inspection and cleaning. Both of these tasks can have intricate processes and it is vital that the proper tools and chemicals are used to ensure the job is done right.
At Lords Chimney, we offer countless chimney and fireplace services, and we are more than happy to stop by and check things out. Contact us today, so that we can get you in before the holiday season begins!