We’re in the cooler season here in Houston, which means many homeowners are putting their fireplaces to a lot more use. Let’s face it – is there a better way to wind down at the end of the day than in front of a cozy fire?
That said, if you’ve found yourself settling down only to be disappointed with a lack of heat from your appliance, then relaxing and unwinding is probably the furthest thing from your mind.
This scenario can also be frustrating when it comes to lowering energy bills. Many use their fireplace as an alternate heat source, so they don’t have to worry about turning on the heat and upping their energy bills. But this isn’t going to be an option if your fireplace isn’t doing it’s job!
Here at Lords Chimney, we strongly believe that fireplaces are meant to be enjoyed and to offer comfort, and we hate to hear of customers not getting what they deserve from their system. That’s why we’re here to talk about the more effective way to get more heat from your fireplace – upgrading to a gas insert.
Why Gas Inserts?
So, why are gas inserts the way to go? Well, if you own a wood-burning fireplace, you’ve probably noticed that their open-style set up isn’t exactly ideal for warming up your living space. Like a fire pit, if you’re right on top of it, sure, you’ll get some heat… but once you back away, you’re left cold, uncomfortable, and frustrated.
A gas insert, on the other hand, is designed to radiate heat into your home and all without the use of a fan or any outside help. They also come with a remote that has a thermostat right on it, so controlling any temperature changes from the comfort of your couch or favorite chair won’t be an issue at all.
Curious about some other benefits of gas inserts? We’ve got the lowdown on it all:
- They offer constant/consistent heat. No worrying about flames dying down or whether or not your wood logs will burn hot enough. Just set it to the temperature you want, sit back, and relax!
- They come in a wide range of style and design options. Whether you’re looking for something sleek and modern or something more classic and traditional, we’re certain you’ll find something to love in no time.
- There’s no mess involved. Wood-burning units invite a lot of mess. Between storing/hauling wood, cleaning up ash piles, and dealing with the occasional stray spark, you could find yourself with damaged or dirty belongings in no time. This isn’t the case with gas units!
- No more creosote. No burning wood means no creosote buildup, so you won’t be investing in those chimney sweepings all the time. Annual inspections are still a must, though!
- They’re easy to operate. Just flip the switch or push a button, and you’ve got heat. No building fires, no adding more logs, and no waiting for things to die down, either. Once you’re done for the evening, simply switch it off, and you’re all set.
- You can easily lower your energy bills. Because gas inserts offer so much extra heat to your home, lowering those monthly energy bills shouldn’t be a problem whatsoever.
There’s no reason not to make the switch – give us a call today to get started!
We Sell Valor Radiant Gas Fireplace
Looking for more specifics on what products we offer here at Lords Chimney? Well, we only work with the best brands, which is why we’re happy to install a Valor Radiant Gas Fireplace into your home. We only recommend products we believe in, so you can trust that any model you choose will provide comfort and satisfaction for years to come.
Valor’s gas fireplaces are easy to customize, too, and we’d be happy to go through the different facing and front options with you. In the end, you’ll end up with an efficient, clean-burning appliance that you can enjoy season after season!
Not Ready to Make the Switch?
Like we said, gas inserts are the way to go when it comes to getting more heat from your fireplace. They’re a very worthwhile investment, helping you save time, money, and stress down the line, and we have a long list of customers who are completely satisfied with the models we’ve installed for them.
That said, if switching to a gas insert just isn’t in the stars for you right now, we get it. Maybe you don’t have the budget for it or maybe you’re one of those who believe the old-school ambiance of a crackling wood fire just can’t be beat. Well, while you won’t get the same heat you would from a gas insert, the good news is that there are still a few tricks that may help you get a bit more efficiency from your wood-burning system.
- Only burn well-seasoned wood. Any wood you’re burning should have been dried out for at least 6 months and should have a moisture content of around 15 – 25%. The more water your fires have to burn through, the more energy they’ll waste, and the less heat you’ll end up with.
- Use hardwoods as opposed to softwoods. Hardwoods are denser and have more British Thermal Units (BTUs) per piece of wood. This means you’ll get more heat and less smoke, guaranteeing a better (and hotter) experience overall. Maple, oak, and walnut are three of the best wood types you can burn.
- Invest in regular maintenance. Annual inspections and regular sweepings are imperative to getting the most you can from your fireplace, no matter your set-up or fuel type. If your system becomes clogged or is damaged it will not perform as well – simple as that.
- Have a fireback installed. Firebacks are iron or steel plates that can be installed in the back of the firebox to help radiate heat back into your living space.
Contact Us Today for Quality Care
Give us a call or reach out online to get started!